We’re bringing in a new hydration brand at Running Warehouse, and we’re stoked about what they have to offer. A coach/nutritionist who was working with a group of pro cyclists developed Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Drink Mix a few years ago, when his cyclists complained that pre-packaged options caused bloating and indigestion. This simple solution is light on the calories and is all about hydration.
The coach started making an electrolyte drink from scratch (Oh! Skratch…). He used only natural ingredients and nixed the artificial additives found in many supplements. His electrolyte supplement mix became know as ‘The Secret Drink Mix,’ because cyclists were secretly using his more natural mix instead of the drinks their sponsors manufactured.
Now the same electrolyte drink mix that pro cyclists were using is available to all athletes. You still won’t find anything artificial on the ingredient list, and you’ll likely be able to pronounce every ingredient. This makes it easy on both the stomach and the palate. The resealable pouch helps keep the powder fresh and safe from moisture.
All of the flavor comes from real fruits, which give it a light, clean taste. We were surprised to find that it tastes just as good at room temp as it does cold, making it great for long runs in warm weather. When tasting a sample of the mix, one of our testers reported simply, “Alright. This is delicious.” The mix is currently available in four flavors: Exercise Hydration Mix with Lemons and Limes; Exercise Hydration Mix with Oranges; Exercise Hydration Mix with Raspberries; and Exercise Hydration Mix with Pineapples.
Running Accessories, Running Sport
It’s shaping up to be a toasty summer! That’s not stopping us from running, but it is making us focus on hydration. Whether it’s to keep your body going through a long run, to equip yourself for exercise in high temps or just to feel more comfortable on a run, proper hydration is key for a safe and enjoyable running experience.
So, how much fluid do you really need? To figure out your personal hydration needs, check out our “Sports Drinks and Hydration” article on our Learning Center. As a general measure, if you are well hydrated your urine should be the color of lemonade. To help you make sense of which products can help you achieve optimal hydration, let’s take a look at our main hydration accessory categories.
Handheld Bottles (Capacity: 7-22 oz.)
- Great option for runners who want to keep it simple and just carry fluid and small essentials like keys or id cards
- Can add supplemental hydration for ultra runners who need more than a belt or pack can carry
- Some bottles are thermally insulated, which helps keep condensation off your hand
Our favorite: Amphipod Hydraform Handheld Thermal-Lite 20 oz.
Belts (Capacity: 16-48 oz.)
- Allow you to keep your hands free while you run
- Some belts give you the option of positioning bottles in different ways, so that you can customize the fit
- Some belts are equipped with shock cords that can be used to secure a shell or other lightweight apparel piece as you shed layers on the run
Our favorite: Nathan Speedbelt 4R 2012
Hydration Packs and Vests (Capacity: 50-100 oz.)
- Shoulder strap or vest-like design allows you to be hands-free, and keeps weight off your hips
- Very large capacity to carry ample hydration for longer duration activity
- Many packs have room to store other essentials beyond hydration, so you can equip yourself for an all-day epic adventure
Our favorite: Salomon XT Advanced Skin S-Lab 5 Set Pack