Refreshing Summer Foods
It’s starting to heat up and if you’re anything like us, you still get just as excited about summer as you did when you were a kid (and it coincided with no school for two months). One of our favorite things about summer is the array of tantalizing refreshing dishes for pre- and post-run nom sessions.
We’d like to share one of our favorite fresh fixes with you: watermelon and feta Greek salad. Watermelon is packed with the vitamins A and C, antioxidants that may help protect your cells from free radical damage. This melon is also a great source of water. It has one of the highest water content/volume ratios of all fruit. This makes it a great post-workout snack or light meal, because it will help you re-hydrate. Take this recipe for a spin and let us know what you think.
- 1 cup watermelon (1″ cubes)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (1/2″ cubes)
- 6 cups arugula or baby arugula
- 1/4 cup red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of a rich balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large Tupperware with a lid.
- Place lid on Tupperware.
- Gently toss to coat all ingredients with oil and vinegar.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Your turn! What are your favorite summertime eats for before or after a run?