It’s shaping up to be a toasty summer! That’s not stopping us from running, but it is making us focus on hydration. Whether it’s to keep your body going through a long run, to equip yourself for exercise in high temps or just to feel more comfortable on a run, proper hydration is key for a safe and enjoyable running experience.
So, how much fluid do you really need? To figure out your personal hydration needs, check out our “Sports Drinks and Hydration” article on our Learning Center. As a general measure, if you are well hydrated your urine should be the color of lemonade. To help you make sense of which products can help you achieve optimal hydration, let’s take a look at our main hydration accessory categories.
Handheld Bottles (Capacity: 7-22 oz.)
- Great option for runners who want to keep it simple and just carry fluid and small essentials like keys or id cards
- Can add supplemental hydration for ultra runners who need more than a belt or pack can carry
- Some bottles are thermally insulated, which helps keep condensation off your hand
Our favorite: Amphipod Hydraform Handheld Thermal-Lite 20 oz.
Belts (Capacity: 16-48 oz.)
- Allow you to keep your hands free while you run
- Some belts give you the option of positioning bottles in different ways, so that you can customize the fit
- Some belts are equipped with shock cords that can be used to secure a shell or other lightweight apparel piece as you shed layers on the run
Our favorite: Nathan Speedbelt 4R 2012
Hydration Packs and Vests (Capacity: 50-100 oz.)
- Shoulder strap or vest-like design allows you to be hands-free, and keeps weight off your hips
- Very large capacity to carry ample hydration for longer duration activity
- Many packs have room to store other essentials beyond hydration, so you can equip yourself for an all-day epic adventure
Our favorite: Salomon XT Advanced Skin S-Lab 5 Set Pack