We know what some of you are thinking: um, real runners don’t listen to music when they run. And sometimes we agree. Sometimes we just want to head out the door and zone out in our own rhythm.
But there are also times when we want to plug during an easy recovery run or a long run without a running partner. And when those days hit,the right mix of songs can make all the difference.
Here are a couple of musical morsels to give a try, if they aren’t already on your playlist.
What are your favorite tracks when warming up, running and cooling down?
To set the right energy level, it’s time for a few jams you can sing along to.
- “Jessie’s Girl” – Rick Springfield
- “U Can’t Touch This” – MC Hammer
- “We Are Who We Are” – Ke$ha
Of course you want more up-tempo tunes to maintain a steady focus as you churn through the miles.
- “The Impression that I Get” – The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- “Days Go By” – Keith Urban
- “Hey Ya!” – OutKast
To cool down…
When you start to bring your heart rate down, choose some mellow tunes to drain out the adrenaline.
- “Suit and Tie” – Justin Timberlake featuring Jay-Z
- “Umbrella” – Rihanna
- “Cups” – Anna Kendrick