Yes, we know it’s still fall, according the calendar at least. But we got our first blast of cold temps over the weekend, which made us start to crave warm, hearty comfort foods after a brisk run in the cold. You can go the full-fat route if you want to indulge, or if you don’t mind tacking on some blubber, but we want to have our soup and eat it too (so to speak). To satisfy our taste for good grub and our need for performance, we whipped up one hearty and simple winter soup that has a more runner-friendly ingredient list.
Chipotle Chicken Soup
What you’ll need:
- Six-quart stock pot
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Mixing spoon
- 2 cups chicken, cut into 1” cubes (we cheated and used a pre-made rotisserie chicken, but you can grill or sauté raw chicken for your soup)
- 1.5 quarts chicken stock
- ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 small fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Pour chicken stock into stock pot over medium heat.
- Remove 3-5 chipotle peppers with adobo (depending on how much heat you like) from can and crush, add to stock.
- Cube chicken and add to stock.
- Add black beans, pinto beans and corn to stock.
- Slice avocados and set aside.
- Dice tomatoes and add to stock.
- Chop cilantro for garnish.
- Simmer soup for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve hot and top with a few avocado slices, a dollop of Greek yogurt and cilantro.