Saucony Kinvara 3 Sneak Peek
You’re forgiven if you couldn’t tell much a difference between your original pair of Kinvaras and your latest pair of Kinvara 2’s. And Saucony is forgiven for making minimal changes to their most popular minimal shoe last time around – the shoe rocked it, right out of the gate. But to stay on top, it was time for a closer look at the Kinvara, and Saucony gave the Kinvara 3 a top-to-bottom refresh.
Get ready for a whole new look and improved technology in the Kinvara 3, which releases in May 2012. At the initial launch, there will be four Women’s colors (the two shown above, along with a Blue/White color and Grey/Purple color) and four Men’s colors (the three colors shown below, along with a Grey/Red color). Two more Men’s colors and two more Women’s colors will be available in July.
What to Watch For
- More Durable Sole: Saucony heard the feedback about the durability of prior Kinvara models and responded by adding XT-900 rubber where it counts. Added rubber on the lateral midfoot and forefoot means you can expect more mileage out of your Kinvara 3’s compared to previous pairs.
- Same Heel-to-Toe Drop: Though many other Saucony models are lowering their offsets, 4mm is still the name of the game for the Kinvara. You know it, you love it, and Saucony didn’t mess with it.
- Smoother Transition: Already known for its flexible, light, and comfortable midsole, the Kinvara series is now designed to move with your foot even better thanks to a de-coupled and beveled heel, along with added flex grooves in the heel. While the Kinvara remains geared toward a midfoot strike, these updates make the shoe a little more welcoming for heel strikers as well.
- Still Lightweight: Official weights from Saucony are 7.7 oz (Men’s size 9) and 6.7 oz (Women’s size 8). That’s a few tenths of an ounce heavier than our measurements for the Kinvara 2, but identical to the official weights for the Kinvara 2, so we’ll have to wait to see whether or not the shoe has really bulked up at all.
- Redesigned Upper: Look for a streamlined upper with improved fit thanks to the use of FlexFilm™, a thin material bonded to the upper to secure your foot to the sole a little better throughout your gait.
- Widths Now Available: For those of you with a wider foot, Saucony is producing 2E widths in the Men’s version and D widths in the Women’s version.
- Pricing Uptick: All these innovations come at a price, specifically: ten bucks. MSRP on the Kinvara 3 rises to $100.00. We still think that the Kinvara is a tremendous value, especially since we expect increased durability in the latest iteration.
- Black/Citron/Red Saucony Kinvara 3
- Blue/Citron Saucony Kinvara 3
- Grey/Red Saucony Kinvara 3
- White/Blue Saucony Kinvara 3