Asics Gel Lyte33 Sneak Peek
Lightweight? Check. Flexible? Check. Streamlined upper? Check. A spiritual successor to the Gel Lyte series from the late 80s and early 90s, the Gel Lyte33 is the lightest shoe in the Asics33 collection and one of the company’s lightest shoes period.
While many of us here in the office and many of you out there in Runnerland have lamented the passing of the Sky Speed series, fans of the Sky Speed should give the Gel Lyte33 a hard look. It’s a lightweight trainer that comes in several ounces lighter than the Sky Speed, and we expect it to become a popular choice for speedwork and racing.
At its June 2012 launch, the Gel Lyte33 will be available in the three Men’s colors shown below, along with a Black/White model. Women’s colors on initial launch include the Yellow/Pink shown above and Black/White/Blue. MSRP on this model is $100.00.
What to Watch For
- Uber Flexible: The picture says more than we can say in words. The Solyte mid/outsole is ready and willing to work with your foot.
- Light Weight: Asics claims weights of 8.6 oz (Men’s 9) and 6.8 oz (Women’s 8). We measured three Men’s samples and they averaged 8.0 oz. Still, the shoe’s not quite as featherweight as the Brooks PureConnect or Saucony Kinvara, which are both close to an ounce lighter.
- Lower Offset: According to Asics, this shoe was built on a platform with a 6mm heel-to-toe drop in order to reduce weight, not to encourage a midfoot strike. Still, the lower offset is welcome news for runners who are fans of the Saucony Kinvara, Brooks PureProject shoes and other elemental shoe models.
- F.A.S.T. Technology: This too-cute-by-half acronym stands for Featherweight Asics Speed Technology. The Gel Lyte33 combines several technologies including the removal of the heel counter and the aforementioned lower offset.
- Green/Black/Blue Asics Lyte33
- Black/White/Onyx Asics Lyte33
- Charcoal/Black/Blue Asics Lyte33
- Onyx/White/Flame Asics Lyte33