Looking for a healthy salad to bring to your next barbecue/potluck/picnic? I don’t know about you, but I’m really picky about my salads. I know that they are ‘good for me’, but I’m not one of those heroic folks that dreams of a bowl of kale and broccoli with a teaspoon of balsamic on top… I’m all about flavor and variety. This salad really pulls through. If you aren’t convinced, here are 5 reasons to go make this salad right now:
- It takes 25 minutes from start to finish, and will keep in the fridge (minus the dressing) for 1-2 days.
- It doesn’t require a stove or oven so it’s perfect for summer.
- The ingredients are finely chopped, so you get a blast of flavor in every bite.
- You’ll find antioxidants from the berries, fiber, manganese, and folic acid from the beans, vitamin K from the basil… and on and on goes the list of healthful benefits from this salad.
- It travels really well, making it perfect for BBQ’s and picnics.
Feel great about your choice to bring this salad to running and non-running friends alike, everyone will feel full, fresh, and ready for
Serves about 12 as a generous side
- About 5 cups chopped butter lettuce, about 2 medium heads
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels (preferably 2 or 3 ears of fresh grilled corn, kernels cut from the cob)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 bell peppers (red and/or yellow look best), chopped
- 1 cup blackberries, halved
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1-2 avocados, pitted and chopped
- Goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
In a large bowl, combine first 10 ingredients (all salad ingredients except the avocado and goat cheese); toss gently to combine.
In a separate bowl or glass jar, combine dressing ingredients and whisk or shake until thoroughly mixed.
When ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss again. Gently add the cheese and avocado, folding the salad a few times to mix.
Approximate per serving: Calories 191 ⁄ Fat 8 grams ⁄ Saturated Fat 2 grams ⁄ Cholesterol 4 mg ⁄ Sodium 407 mg ⁄ Carbohydrates 26 grams ⁄ Fiber 6 grams ⁄ Sugars 10 grams ⁄ Protein 5 grams