The New Balance numbering system can cause confusion from time to time, but there’s no confusing the fact that the 890 series has been a reliable performance shoe for neutral runners. The upcoming fourth version of this model introduces a whole new look, with a comprehensive redesign from heel to toe.
What to Watch For
- Weight Reduction: New Balance claims weight decreases of nearly an ounce in v4, with Men’s size 9 at 8.5 oz and Women’s size 7 at 6.7 oz, compared to NB’s official weights for v3 at 9.4 oz and 7.5 oz, respectively.
- No-Sew Upper: Stitches be gone! The upper of the 890 v4 features all welded overlays, which reduces weight and the risk of irritation.
- Increased Toe Spring: The amount the platform curves up at the toe has been increased slightly for a better transition at toe-off.
- More Generous Toebox: Prior models of the 890 have been known for their shallow toebox, and NB decided to add a bit more material to provide an accommodating fit to more runners.
- Same Offset: We expect the 890 v4 to continue to fall in the 7mm-8mm drop category.
- Widths Available: Like prior models, we will carry the Men’s version in 2E widths.
November 2013 (one Men’s and one Women’s color)
February 2014 (remaining colorways)