We don’t always have a lot of time to fuel up pre-run, so we like to keep some convenient (and tasty) snacks on hand to make sure we have the stamina to go the distance when we hit the roads or trails. These peanut butter energy bites are just the ticket!
What you’ll need:
- 2 small, ripe bananas (for potassium to help prevent muscle cramping)
- 2 cups rolled oats (for whole grain carbs)
- ½ cup peanut butter (sub in a different nut butter if you’d prefer)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (for a little extra calcium)
- 2 tbsp. honey (for quick energy)
- cinnamon to taste (for added deliciousness)
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Cookie Sheet
- Waxed paper or parchment paper
Stir it up!
- Mash up the banana in a medium-sized mixing bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir with fork until completely mixed
- Use a tablespoon to spoon mixture onto a parchment paper (or waxed paper) covered cookie sheet
- Place cookie sheet in freezer and freeze for three hours
- Enjoy! Store these energy bites in the freezer in a sealed container so they’re ready when you need some pre-run fuel, or just a healthy snack.
If you feel like mixing it up, try adding some chocolate chips or shredded coconut! What other delish ingredients would you add to this recipe?
Mizuno Elixir 8 Men's Shoe
Here at the office, we’re big fans of the Mizuno Wave Elixir 7, a shoe featuring an excellent blend of performance, cushioning, and a bit of support for everyday training, high mileage, and fast running – truly an all-purpose everyday trainer. So we were actually pretty excited to see minimal changes in store for the Elixir 8.
A refined upper should make the shoe better fitting for an even wider range of runners, while the unchanged platform will deliver the Elixir 7′s firm and responsive ride with a smooth transition. Expect weights to go unchanged: around 9 oz for a Men’s size 9 and 7.5 oz in a Women’s size 8.
Design-wise, what do you think? We’re split. A lot of us like the current tiger stripes, but a few big 80′s fans are jumping for joy over the New Wave print.
What to Watch For
- Fewer Overlays: Mizuno did away with many of the overlays from the Elixir 7, which should result in a more adaptive fit and increased upper flexibility.
- Carryover Platform: We can expect the same cushioned yet lightweight and responsive ride that Mizuno nailed with the Elixir 7.
Orange/Lime/Anthracite Wave Elixir 8
Electric/Lime/Anthracite Wave Elixir 8
Mizuno Elixir 8 Women's Shoe
Running Shoes, Sneak Peeks
Your evening training run probably won’t find you in a digital world fighting evil, but this “TRON”-looking apparel line from Asics will equip you to tackle your night run in greater safety.
Many runners have trusted Asics for their go-to running essentials for years, but this season the brand has introduced some serious “wow” with their Lite Show line, a revolution in visibility-focused apparel. The collection offers the technical features you look for in running apparel – wicking fabrics, ergonomic flatlock seams, mesh in key sweat zones – and then steps it up a notch in the reflectivity department with reflective stitching and trim.
The strategic placement of these reflective elements results in 360-degree reflectivity and a fast, flashy aesthetic. Many of the reflective seamlines are placed on parts of the body that are in motion when running (like the sleeves of tops and the outer legs of pants), which helps drivers see you from farther away. Want to learn more? Watch a Lite Show Video showing the apparel in motion.
Gear up and get out to run…or to fight malevolent characters in a digital domain. Your choice.
New Balance 810 v2 Men's Shoe
Not gonna lie, we weren’t the biggest fans of the original MT810 from New Balance. A heavier shoe with a near-excessive amount of protection, this traditionally designed trail model just didn’t really do it for us from a running standpoint. We are pleased to see a complete makeover in the shoe’s first update, and welcome the 810 v2 with open arms (or open feet?). Expect the 810 v2 to be a rugged yet relatively nimble shoe capable of all-terrain performance.
What to Watch For
- Complete Redesign: Nothing from the original 810 has gone untouched in this update. New Balance has reformed the shoe to become a more performance-oriented trail offering.
- Dramatically Reduced Weight: Down from a whopping 13.7 oz in the original, the new 810 v2 checks in at 10.9 oz in a Men’s size 9 and 8.4 oz in a Women’s size 8 according to New Balance.
- Lower Offset: An 8mm heel-to-toe differential will promote running on the toes for a swift and agile trail running experience.
Black/Red MT810 v2
Blue/Yellow WT810 v2
New Balance 810 v2 Women's Shoe
Running Shoes, Sneak Peeks
With cooler weather around the corner, we’re starting to look for creative ways to stay cozy on our runs. Hats and beanies will always have a special place in our hearts, but recently we’ve been running in the Buff.
Um… what? The temps drop and we say ‘forget clothes’? Not quite. The ‘Buff’ is perhaps the most versatile piece of running headwear on the market. It has an incredibly simple design (it’s basically a long tube of stretchy, moisture-wicking fabric), but it can morph into nearly any type of headwear you can imagine.
This little powerhouse accessory even comes in a High UV Protection version. There are at least 12 ways to wear it: from balaclava to headband to neck gaiter, the Buff will have you covered. Check out our complete Buff collection so you can try out the above styles yourself.
Well hello, September, when did you sneak up on us? We’re not sure where fall came from this year, but we’re already starting to notice the changing light and brisker temperatures…and we couldn’t be happier! Early morning runs that finish up just as the sun rises, hot tea or a cuppa joe with a friend post-workout, and that vibrantly alive feeling we get from breathing the crisp autumnal air.
To celebrate one of our favorite seasons, Brooks is adding two new colors to their high visibility ‘Nightlife’ collection. This tried and true lineup includes everything from gloves and arm warmers to cozy mid-layers and jackets – all in bright high visibility colors that help you be seen by motorists in low light conditions. This season Brooks invited a few more colors to the party with a Hi-Viz Orange on the Men’s side and a Hi-Viz pink on the Women’s, so you can be seen and look great on the run and beyond.
Nightlife apparel has been one of our biggest sellers over the past few Fall/Winter seasons, and this collection no doubt helps runners be seen and be safe on darker days. The two new colors are sure to attract a lot of attention – the good kind, when it comes to safety – and also give you more choices for your running gear.
What’s your plan for staying safe on your runs as the days get shorter?
Running Accessories, Running Apparel
Asics Gel NoosaFAST Men's Running Shoe
What do you call a shoe that’s a little bit Aussie, a little bit Rasta, and a whole lot speedy? Asics calls it the Gel NoosaFAST. This shoe replaces the Gel Hyper Speed 5, a pretty spectacular racing flat that will be missed. (On a side note, check out our sale on the Hyper Speed 5 if you’re looking to stock up before they’re all gone.)
Asics Gel NoosaFAST Outsole View (Note Drainage in Forefoot)
So what’s the deal with this flashy new model? The NoosaFAST is an entirely new design that drops nearly a half ounce from the Hyper Speed 5 (according to published weights from Asics), and is built with a low 6mm offset. Plus, there’s a Women’s model on tap for all you speedy ladies out there.
What to Watch For
- Light Weight: According to Asics, the Men’s NoosaFAST checks in at 6.6 oz (size 9), with the Women’s model at 5.3 oz (size 8).
- Ready to Race: Take these on your next 5K, 10K or beyond, or pop in the included elastic laces and ace your next triathlon outing.
- Tri-Specific Features: Other triathlon-ready features include grips on the heel and tongue, no-sew construction, and drainage holes in the front of the shoe.
Hot Pink/Black/Electric Blue NoosaFAST
Pink/Orange/Yellow Blue NoosaFAST
Asics Gel NoosaFAST Women's Running Shoe (Note Elastic Laces)
Running Shoes, Sneak Peeks
The Nathan Fusion Belt System is as versatile as your training runs. Start with the Nathan Fusion Base Belt and select the belt system accessories that meet your needs. Carry everything from hydration to nutrition – even your smartphone! Nathan created a belt add-on for nearly every on-the-run need. Each add-on has a comfortable neoprene backing for cushioning and to keep your essentials from bouncing as you run.
This contest is now closed. Stay tuned when we announce the winners here the week of September 17, and thank you to all who entered.
New Balance MO80 Men's Running Shoe
Low to the ground with a lightweight construction upper, the MO80 (Men’s model) and WO80 (Women’s model) are geared for outdoor running and beyond. Sticky Vibram rubber gives generous grip, while a 4mm offset keeps the foot position for a mid-to-forefoot strike. The no-sew upper hugs the foot, and the upper uses durable materials built to withstand trail debris and other tough conditions.
What to Watch For
- 4mm Drop: This shoe has the same drop and is on the same “natural” last as the popular MT110/WT110 and MT10/WT10 models.
- Firmer Platform: The 80 is designed to offer a lot of protection for a Minimus shoe.
- Vibram Rubber: The tough rubber outsole includes bi-directional lugs for grip both on ascents and descents.
- Trail-Ready Upper: The closed mesh keeps junk out and resists tears from sticks, rocks and other debris.
New Balance MO80 Men's Running Shoe Outsole View
source: Yves Logghe/Associated Press
The third annual Diamond League – an International series of track and field meetings featuring the world’s running elite – finished up with its final meet in Brussels today. What were the top five most memorable moments of the Belgacom Memorial Van Damme for us? Check ‘em out below:
1. Aries Merritt sets a new 110-meter hurdles world record and wins the event with a smokin’ fast time of 12.80.
2. Matthew Centrowitz places 4th in the 1500 meters, finishing up a great year with the time 3:32.24. Silas Kiplagat wins the event with a time of 3:31.98, while Asbel Kiprop continues to have a rough year finishing 5th.
3. Brenda Martinez is the United States top female finisher in the 800m with a personal best of 1:59.14, her first time under the 2 minute barrier. The winner of the race was Francine Niyonsaba with an unbelievable time of 1:56.59.
4. Usain Bolt’s training partner and countryman Yohan Blake wins the 200-meter with a time of 19.54.
5. Usain Bolt puts in a 9.86 effort to finish a great year with a win in the 100-meter dash.
What was your top highlight of today’s competition?